Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Whisper in the Garden


In the past few weeks some packages arrived for me. They were lily bulbs I ordered last spring and totally forgot about. That's what I love about ordering plant materials. You give yourself a gift by doing it, then you tend to shove them to the back of your mind. When they arrive they are a surprise present all over again. I was glad that I saved a pile of compost from the summer activities, so that I could enrich the soil as I buried them for the winter. Come next spring, they will come up and I will be surprised again--another gift arriving.
I went in for lilies in a big way this year, and if I'm lucky and persistent, I may even get some photos from the garden catalog posted here... Three kinds of lilies, all different heights.
Planting bulbs is an act of hope. I am willing to wait until mid- to late-summer to receive my reward. I'll have some nurturing to do in the meantime, but I garden to grow in patience. I garden to be stunned by beauty. I garden to remind myself that there is something to hope for. The flowers are just a whisper of the promise.


No comments: