Monday, July 20, 2009

Will the Miracles Never Cease?

I hope not. A modern miracle was unveiled to me just this morning. I had my hearing exam, and much to my dismay, the examiner was quite surprised at how much my hearing had "tanked" in the last few months. I am now referred to the U of M Hospitals for another cochlear implant evaluation.

But here's the miracle. They gave me a website to log on to and register my name and password for a free service. I log in and type in my phone number, and the number I want to call. Then I click to proceed. My phone rings. I answer it. It proceeds to dial the number I want and my computer simultaneously brings up a screen to print out the conversation instantaneously (almost). It's called caption telephone.

I called Jack right away to see if it worked. He begins laughing. The screen prints out (laughing)! As soon as I was done talking to him I called three other numbers--all doctor's appointments I have been unable to make because I couldn't hear on the phone! There are times I wish I was not born during this century, but this is not one of them. It's a miracle, albeit technological, but a miracle indeed for someone in need of one.

5 comments:

L. H. Lynch said...

Yay! That is so super cool! Bravo, mom!

John Lynch said...

Awesome! Now someone just needs to build that into a cell phone so that it can handle incoming and outgoing calls in a portable fashion and you are good to go!

Lisa said...

I think it is capable of that already... but I don't have a cell phone (Blackberry style) at the moment.

Jeannie said...

That's fantastic! Does it work for incoming calls?

Lisa said...

I haven't tried, but I don't think so, since to access the program you put in both numbers and then it initiates the calls. However, if I need to I can ask the caller to give me their number and hang up so I can call them back.