Monday, January 25, 2010

Scrambling

Things don't always run smoothly. This morning is one of those times. It's my own fault. I didn't deal with the printer displaying an error message all weekend. I just wasn't up for it. This morning I needed to print something... big. In desperation I finally just followed the cord of the printer to its source and (gasp) unplugged it. You techies out there are probably laughing to split your sides, but for me, that was a desperate measure. My God, the world could have ended! But it worked. I am now printing away and not sure I'll get it all done by my late morning deadline.

I don't like that technology makes perfectly intelligent people feel helpless. But knowing this stuff isn't everyone's favorite fruit smoothie. For some of us it is a chore, and the future looks bleak. It's just going to be one long dreary scramble to keep up.

3 comments:

L. H. Lynch said...

"I don't like that technology makes perfectly intelligent people feel helpless."

Nicely put. I think this happens in any area where we encounter someone with expertise in a subject about which we know nothing. Technology is especially alienating, because it is so new, and so very different from what we deal with in the rest of our lives. My sympathies, and good luck keeping up.

John Lynch said...

"Power cycling," as it is called, is a perfectly fine first step to fixing technology problems.

Lisa said...

Thanks, John. I just learned something. Didn't know I was "power cycling" when I got desperate enough to dare to unplug something...