Saturday, March 13, 2010

What You're Good At Isn't Always What You Love

There are some talents I could do without. It's not that I don't think they are useful, but that I just don't enjoy those activities. You can be good at something and not like doing it. Yet, the talent is needed, others recognize it and request it, and you know it is at least not wrong to help, and at best, the right thing to do. So you find yourself doing lots of dreary things very well, while your heart pines for something else.

2 comments:

Reenie said...

I completely agree and totally understand. This happens to me a lot. Just because I'm good at it does not mean I want to do that and only that for everyone else. I enjoy other things people :) My favorite quotes for occasions like this:
"Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part." Anonymous
Smiling sweetly "I wish I wanted to do that." Rosemary Kennedy (my grandma)

Lisa said...

Love the quotes. I've heard the first one before, not the second. Your grandma sounds like a gem.

The true challenge is when and how to say "no".

Here's a quote I despise: "If not you, then who?" Stop right here. This is my next post.